Equity Driven Systems
Orenda’s inside-out approach to systems transformation supports districts, clusters of schools, and individual schools through an equity-grounded, data-informed framework for sustainable gains in academic achievement across every student demographic at scale.
Leveraging District Budgets To Support Equity Work
California education funding and regulatory processes have shifted significantly, and school leaders are overwhelmed by requirements decision-making urgency. California invested over $5.3 billion in the Learning Loss Mitigation Funding (LLMF) “to support academic achievement and mitigate learning loss related to COVID-19 school closures.” This funding presents a unique opportunity for schools and districts to tackle longstanding student outcome gaps exacerbated by recent learning loss-head on. The time is NOW.
We cultivate relationships of mutual trust with our partners to develop a deep understanding of their systems and practices by:
- Facilitating site visits, student shadowing, and staff focus groups
- Analyzing current and historical student data
- Utilizing a systems perspective to help our partners identify their specific success and challenge areas
- Presenting our recommendations for actionable strategies to build and inspire momentum for systems transformation in both the short and long term.
- Building a framework for a tailored transformation plan that maps how our partners advance from where they are to where they aspire to be.
Learn more about the Equity Study
Data-Driven System Building
We provide schools and districts with a robust suite of systems transformation strategies to effectively manage the processes that guide, track, and measure their progress at each stage of their plan. Key areas that we support include:
- Strategic planning, goal-setting, progress monitoring, budget and resource management, and Local Control and Accountability Plan (LCAP) alignment
- Setting board, faculty, student, and parent policies and expectations
- Aligning curriculum content and instructional sequence to Common Core and grade level standards
- Aligning counselor and wraparound supports to desired student success metrics
- Building collaborative, transparent, and accountable teaching, counseling, and leading cultures
We work with administrators, coaches, teachers, and counselors on developing, modeling, and sustaining equity-grounded mindsets and practices in every aspect of their work with students and with each other.
- Culturally responsive systems, practices, and pedagogy
- Equitable classroom management, disciplinary policies, and practices
- Equitable class placements, program offerings, and learning plans that inspire high expectations for every student
- Quantitative and qualitative data analytics and support strategies
Effective Teaching + Instructional Improvement
We collaborate with administrators, coaches, and teachers in utilizing research-based strategies, best practices, and tailored approaches to accelerate student achievement and success. These include:
- 5-day Summer Training Institutes for administrators, coaches, teachers, and counselors staff each year
- Standards-based curriculum alignment, goal-setting, and instructional planning
- High-impact, low-lift instructional tools and resources
- Common learning assessment design and evaluation
- Deep-dive data reflection sessions (at least 5x per year)
- Team planning and collaboration sessions (at least 2x per month)
College + Career Guidance Alignment (Middle Schools + High Schools)
We collaborate with school and district guidance staff and administrators to create systems and practices that ensure students achieve key college and career readiness milestones.
- Building college-going school cultures
- Providing training and support on key college and career readiness predictors – e.g., attendance rates, disciplinary patterns, connectedness to school, rigorous course taking patterns, formative assessment outcomes, and credit accumulation
- Setting up on-track monitoring systems to ensure students meet or exceed college and career readiness benchmarks